The new Mercedes-Benz EQC can also be a genuine Mercedes relating to passive safety. As well as the usual, extensive programme of crash tests, vehicles applies stringent safety standards for the battery as well as component parts carrying electrical current. On most occasions these standards exceed law.
Mercedes-Benz’s extensive hitting the ground with high-voltage drive systems has generated a particular safety concept. The EQC’s accident safety was validated on the Mercedes-Benz technology centre for vehicle safety (TFS), by far the most advanced crash test centre on the earth. Here vehicles, including prototypes with large battery, are actually tested under harsh crash conditions.
The effect can result in a whole selection of constructive measures which give the EQC’s dangerous of crash safety:
– A whole new subframe surrounds the drive components based in the front section, and that unit is maintained by the same old mounting points.
– Electric battery is encompassed by a sturdy frame with an integral crash structure. Deformation elements are installed regarding the frame and also the battery, which can easily absorb additional forces in the event of a couple of side impact.
– A battery bank guard right in front section of the battery can stop the energy unit from being pierced by foreign objects.
– The high-voltage system can be de-activate automatically from a crash, according to its severity. A distinction is done from a reversible plus an irreversible cut-off. Only when it’s banned the voltage within the high-voltage system beyond the battery reduces to inside of the safety-relevant voltage limit in an small amount of time.
– Another feature on the comprehensive high-voltage safety concept is the charging process is automatically curtailed one bit of impact is detected when stationary at the quick-charging station (DC charging). There are also shutdown points where emergency teams can deactivate the high-voltage system manually.
– Together with assessing the occupant values after a crash, the battery’s accident safety was tested within the development centre of Deutsche ACCUMOTIVE, a wholly-owned Daimler subsidiary. Test criteria included the battery’s behaviour under impact so when penetrated by foreign bodies, with overheating and overloading also simulated.
Beyond the structural safety and also the battery protection concept, the model’s specially adapted restraint systems are particularly significant with the occupants in the instance of an automobile accident.
– Three-point seat belts with pyrotechnical belt tensioners and belt force limiters are installed for any driver, front passenger and passengers on the outer rear seats (normal three-point seat belt the hub in the rear).
– i-Size (Europe) and ISOFIX (other countries) child seat attachment points for securely attaching appropriate child seats over the outer rear seats
– Window airbags during the roof area relating to the A, B and C-pillars for your head the main driver, front passenger and passengers to the outer rear seats
– Combined thorax/pelvis side impact airbags for driver and front passenger. Additional optional side impact airbags for any outer rear seats.
– Airbags for driver and front passenger in case of an extreme frontal impact, with dual-stage, time-delayed deployment for the passenger side
– Knee airbag for your driver
Numerous measures make certain that anytime Mercedes-Benz vehicles suffer a major accident, consequential damage is reduced and rescue with the occupants is assisted. After a protective system (e.g. belt tensioner and airbag) is triggered, a disastrous situation call or perhaps a service call manufactured or perhaps a breakdown is detected, the subsequent measures might be initiated dependant upon the accident type and severity:
– Automatic activation of Mercedes-Benz emergency call to notify emergency services with the location and emergency situation and initiate rescue.
– Shutdown in the high-voltage system
– Activation on the hazard warning system to warn other road users
– Interior lighting switched on
– Front side windows lowered for ventilation in case there is airbag deployment
– Central locking system unlocked
– Lifting in the electrically adjustable steering column
– Notification of an detected breakdown or accident situation to Car-to-X communication as well as the Mercedes-Benz service centre
– A rescue sticker gives a direct link to the vehicle’s rescue data sheet. Corresponding stickers are affixed to the charging flap in order to the other B-pillar in the vehicle for this purpose. As a direct consequence of any accident, rescue services can scan the QR code that has a smartphone or pc tablet for fast and reliable accessibility rescue data sheet for any specific vehicle concerned, thus facilitating rescue operations.
– Alongside the rescue data sheets, the Rescue Assist App for smartphones and tablets has also three-dimensional views of your vehicle C now also offline if there is absolutely no mobile network sold at the accident scene.